Saks Galleries is located in the heart of the Cherry Creek North shopping district and has been Denver's premier art gallery for over 50 years. Saks Galleries continues to be family owned and directed and is dedicated to bringing fine art to the region. Specializing in 19th to 21st century American and European oils, bronzes and watercolors, Saks Galleries is interested in acquiring both individual works and entire estates. The gallery acquires collectibles such as silver, art glass, furniture, and textiles as well. The gallery's Denver location leads it toward a strong interest in artists of the American West, The Taos Society of Artists, and Native American arts such as textiles, baskets, pottery, and jewelry. Additionally, Saks Galleries is a major dealer in Early Colorado paintings.
Saks Galleries also represents many well-established artists. Hosting several one-artist shows each year, the gallery is able to assist both the beginning collector and the seasoned collector in their search for works by particular regional or national masters. The gallery is a member of the Appraisers Association of America and offers a full range of professional appraisal services, both for insurance and estate purposes.
Saks Galleries was founded at the end of WWII in Denver by Lemon Saks. A Danish-born immigrant serving in the U.S. Army, Mr. Saks honed his knowledge of art and antiques while stationed in London during the War. The first stores in Denver were located in several downtown locations and called The House of Saks. But in 1957, Saks opened the Denver Art Galleries at 1635 Broadway dedicated to only fine art. As a matter of fact, that location had been occupied by significant early Colorado art galleries since the turn of the century.
Under his directorship, Denver Art Galleries attained a national reputation for dealing important 19th and 20th century paintings and for many years was the pre-eminent gallery between the coasts. Mr. Saks would travel to Europe on buying trips three times each year. The European dealers were anxious for American business and would hold things for Mr. Saks to see. Many of the important collections in the Rocky Mountain area were begun at this time, among them the Anschutz and Harmsen collections.
In 1960, a piece of commercial ground became available in the Cherry Creek North area. Mr. Saks dreamed of building a structure solely devoted to fine art, a visionary idea at the time since Cherry Creek was then only a quiet and rather small shopping district. Every detail in the construction was artistic, from the travertine face to the imported gold-plated door handles.